20 Dec DIY Festive Dog Treats
Why should humans be the only ones to enjoy home-baked goodies during the holidays?
Here are 3 favorites to make your pooch a happy pooch these holidays!
Apple Mint Christmas Dog Bones
These bone-shaped cookies from Best Dog Treat Recipes are low-fat and low-calorie, and will keep for several months. Added bonus:, mint may aid your dog’s digestion while it freshens his breath. Use spinach powder to give the cookies a festive green color.
Apple Mint Christmas Dog Bones
- 1½ cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup unbleached
- 1/2 cup
old fashionedrolled oats.
- 1/3 cup oat bran
- 2 tablespoons dry milk
- 1 ½
teaspoonsdry baking yeast
- 2 tablespoons chopped spearmint leaves
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 2 teaspoons green or red powdered food
coloringor spinach powder (to get the colordesired)
- 7/8 cup water
Apple Mint Dog Christmas Cookies
You can use a heavy duty mixer with a dough hook. with a dough hook or a bread machine. I prefer the bread machine, as it’s so much easier. If you use a mixer, simply adjust the directions for making bread with your mixer.
- Place everything in the bread machine on the dough cycle.
- When the dough is ready, roll it to1/4” thick with a non-stick rolling pin.
- Using a mini bone cookie cutter, cut the dough into mini dog bone shapes.
- Bake at 250 degrees F for about an hour. Check to make sure that they don’t get too brown.
- Turn off the oven and let the mini dog bones dry teaspoon in the oven— This works best overnight.
- If you’d like to dress up your dog bones, why not try a little dog treat icing
Nutty Bacon Dog Treats
Makes ~6 dozen 1″ diameter treats
3 slices of bacon, diced
1/3 cup creamy natural peanut butter
1 tablespoon maple syrup (bacon + maple seemed like a good idea)
3 tablespoons water
1/2 cup soy flour
1/2 whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 cup wheat germ
-Preheat oven to 300 degrees and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
-Fry the diced bacon until crispy. With a slotted spoon, remove the crispy bacon but save the fat. Allow the fat to cool slightly (2-5 minutes)
-Add the egg, peanut butter, maple syrup and water to the bacon fat and mix thoroughly.
-Add in the flours and wheat germ and mix until combined. Stir in the crispy bacon pieces.
-Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface to about 1/4″ thick. Cut into desired shapes. I used three different 1″ cookie cutters.
-Bake in the oven for 12-15 minutes (for 1″ diameter shapes) until lightly browned.
-Cool and make them beg for it.
Christmas Cookie Dog Treats
INGREDIENTS & MATERIALS
~2 cups flour (whole wheat or non-bleached is best)
~1 tbsp baking powder
~1 cup peanut butter
~1 cup non-fat plain Greek yogurt
~Water as needed
You will also need some mini Christmas Cookie Cutters of your choice
1. Pre-heat the oven to 375 degrees.
2. Combine all of the ingredients above until it forms a soft dough. You can add a small amount of water if the dough is dry.
3. Roll out the dough on some parchment paper and cut out using holiday cookie cutters.
4. Place on a lightly greased cookie sheet and bake for about 15 – 18 minutes.
5. Cool and serve! You can store these for later in an airtight plastic container.
Once baked and cooled, your Irresistible Christmas Cookie Dog Treats should look something like this: